1. SRH Management
  2. 2015 Season
  3. Friday, 31 July 2015
After the accident in lap one last night, we should visit this rule that we have in our Rules & Regulations:

"2.17) Official races are not restarted under any circumstance or incident. There will be exceptions such as a general problem; for instance, the lights do not work and the race never starts, or a connection problem with the server. There is only one race restart allowed if and only if half of the drivers plus one retire from the race due to the same incident during the first lap (if there are 10 drivers, 6 will have to retire, or if there are 9 drivers then 5 will have to retire in order to restart the race). If this happens, someone in the chat will ask for a race restart. The restart request without the requirements mentioned before will carry a penalty imposed by the stewards according to their criteria. If this massive accident does happen in the first lap (retirement of half plus 1 of the drivers), drivers are required to drive as if it is the formation lap while the restart procedure is completed, in other words, while it is confirmed that the race must be restarted. If the request does not fulfill the requirements to restart a race, the driver that started it will be penalized as mentioned before and the drivers on track will wait until a race director waves the green flag to continue the race. Note: The word “retire” means that the driver had substantial damages on his car, these being: loss of the rear wing, suspension damage, or the loss of a wheel. Going off track, spinning out, or the loss of the front wing are not excuses to retire from a race. It is mandatory that the driver makes a clean start without hitting the others in order to maintain his permanence in the race. The stewards will check each replay from any restarted race to verify that the retired drivers had substantial non-repairable damages on their cars. If the race was restarted and the replay shows that the damages were repairable, the driver that started the restart request and did not make sure that the retired drivers had non-repairable damages, will be penalized as described before in this section."

The rule seems okay but it has never been put to the test, and last night we had an opportunity and we did not know what to do about it.

A recommendation would be to practice this scenario before we have our next race, so that at least we become familiar on how to proceed.

There's also the suggestion of having a race director that would watch the start live and make the call when half of the field + 1 have major damages from the same incident.

Please voice your opinions, anything that you think it's not right please let us know. We are still growing and now it's the time to polish some of this rules.

Thanks,

F1 League Management
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
How about guys not try and win on the first lap? Guys blasting thru the field on the start, and then late brake and cause accidents, is CRAZY! Punish those guys to MAKE them be more careful on the start. Start them from pit lane if you cause accident on first lap. It's very disappointing to practice and then go out before I'm even thru turn one with engine on fire, Left front suspension damage, and Right rear suspension failure.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
My belief is strongly opinionated in that race restarts(due to collision or accidents) should never be allowed. Restarting the race because of driver(s) error creates more problems than it solves. (1:)Restarting does not encourage drivers to be more careful because they will know that they can get a reset if they cause an accident. (2:)There will be drivers that make exceptionally great starts that will feel robbed or cheated when the race is reset. (3:)Chatting during a race is forbidden for good reason as it is a distraction and restart chat may cause more problems, especially if the race isn't restarted after the chatting.

Amongst other reasons that I'm sure will come to mind soon, these are my initial thoughts.

Cheers!
https://i.ibb.co/QQQRkjr/team-Car-img.png
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Yeah I agree with Sean, people need to be more cautious at the starts. Accidents like what we saw last night hasn't been the norm this season though, in fact, we had two straight races with very difficult turns 1 and they were are clean. Last night I think it was a chain reaction that occurred, also that this damn track has the kerbs too high which unbalances the cars very easily. Austria is famous for incidents in lap 1. I looked at the replay and really it doesn't look like anyone's fault, it was just bad luck and the worst possible place.

The other thing I don't get is why people don't brake when you see what's happening in front of you, I think there's always plenty of time to avoid a crash, it's a matter everyone being continuous and slam the brakes and avoid hitting more cars. It's the racer mentality that forces you to keep the foot down hoping you'll find a small gap and pass by...

Anyways, I don't believe this issue will be showing up constantly in the races to come, we've proven we are an experienced field (just look at the start in Nurburgring and Hungary). Even in real F1 there are massive incidents, so let's try to recover and learn from this unfortunate event.

Let's wait until Spa and avoid this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBM4KpxfsPc
Janos Magasrevy
SRH Founder and Director
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Out of curiosity I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJkPbJ4m5p4

This was the outcome:

Drivers involved in the crash along with Coulthard included Eddie Irvine (Ferrari), Alexander Wurz (Benetton), Rubens Barrichello (Stewart), Johnny Herbert (Sauber), Olivier Panis (Prost), Jarno Trulli (Prost), Mika Salo (Arrows), Pedro Diniz (Arrows), Toranosuke Takagi (Tyrrell), Ricardo Rosset (Tyrrell) and Shinji Nakano (Minardi). Jos Verstappen managed to get his Stewart back to the pits but it was too badly damaged to continue. The race was stopped before the end of the first lap, in order to allow the damaged cars to be recovered and the track to be cleared.

The regulations in force at the time stated that should any race be stopped within the first two laps, the start would be null and void, and a full restart over the original distance would take place. Thus all those involved in the incident were eligible to take place in the second start. Both Irvine and Barrichello had sustained minor injuries, and while Irvine restarted, Barrichello did not. Three teams had both of their cars damaged, each only had one spare car available, which meant that Salo, Rosset, and Panis could not restart as their teams decided to provide the spare car to their team-mates. In total, four drivers did not take the second start. The second attempt to start the race took place nearly an hour after the first.
Janos Magasrevy
SRH Founder and Director
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
I think there should be not a reset in these cases, because these events are the risks that arise in the race.
I agree with what he says Sean, to punish people who commit accidents. I also want to add that exemplarily punished, those who commit repetitive collisions.
As Cory says, the restart does not help, because people will be less careful, because if a multiple accident occurs, they will be able to try again, and if some drivers achieve a good start earned 1 or 2 position will also be affected before a restart.
Renault F1 #20 Driver
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
I agree with Cory about restarts encouraging the use of chat, as well as people not being careful since restarts are an option.

I've been on accidents myself this season, some my own fault, some simply bad luck, like yesterday, and I have learned the hard way to calm down on T1-3 (depends on the track) on the first lap, you aren't going to win the race, or points on lap 1 out of 70.

I think restarts can be seen as selfish and should not be allowed unless there are some absolutely extreme cases.

What are those cases? I don't know, but maybe something like 2 cars left on the race after all the others have been left with unrepairable damages and can't continue.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
Please, no restarts. Been there, done that. People need to be careful and if they're not then the stewards need to punish them severely.
I used to be a steward and I tried to make it harsh when I had to come down on a driver. Some of you may remember that. It made me unpopular but the races were cleaner.
Starting from the back of the grid or from the pits is not enough punishment timewise. A frontrunner at the back of the grid means you have a fast guy charging through the field before turn 1. Even if he's clean, he's made up for his penalty on the 1st lap, no big deal. Where's the deterrent?
I preferred drive through and stop and go penalties after the race starts. Now that hurts.
Or make a driver miss a race for a stupid move. Tough love . And if they don't come back, the league is better off without them anyway. (B))
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
think the grey aread is knowing how many people need or want a restart.

if we could set the server so if theres a big crash, guys can vote for restart, it will say need 8 more votes etc.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
I think we are just complicating our lives by giving hope of a race restart.

I would suggest we modify the rule as follows:

"2.17) With the exception of the loss of connection from the server within the first 2 laps, meaning that all drivers disconnect from the race due to a server failure, once the starting lights go off and the race gets underway, there will be no restarts allowed. If an accident occurs on lap 1, the drivers behind are required to use extra caution and avoid escalating the incident further, that said, drivers are required to reduce their speed substantially until they (the drivers behind) safely clear the zone of the accident. Drivers that do not reduce their speed substantially will be severely punished with up to a race suspension. Furthermore, calling for a race restart using the chat or voting system is forbidden and will be punished according to the stewards criteria."

What do you guys think about it?
Janos Magasrevy
SRH Founder and Director
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
think the grey aread is knowing how many people need or want a restart.

if we could set the server so if theres a big crash, guys can vote for restart, it will say need 8 more votes etc.

People that had a bad start would vote for yes and they would not even be involved in the accident, this is what could happen with that. I think voting or calling for a restart just creates more problems, I'm pretty sure if we didn't have the option before then nobody would've even said a word after the crash last race.
Janos Magasrevy
SRH Founder and Director
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 10
Votes
Undo
Voting goes right in line with the no chatting rule. Voting creates a lot of chat and if the vote end up declined, you have all that chat and the possible problems created from it applied to running drivers and the race overall.

I'm not opposed to the rule adjusted for connection issues or even if somebody has a problem with their wheel SUDDENLY not working once we go to track for the formation lap.

Cheers!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 11
Votes
Undo
Voting goes right in line with the no chatting rule. Voting creates a lot of chat and if the vote end up declined, you have all that chat and the possible problems created from it applied to running drivers and the race overall.

I'm not opposed to the rule adjusted for connection issues or even if somebody has a problem with their wheel SUDDENLY not working once we go to track for the formation lap.

Cheers!

How can you prove that their wheel is not working? It could well be an excuse if let's say, you forgot to add fuel. I guess we have this long warm-up period, so that you can test your system.
Janos Magasrevy
SRH Founder and Director
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 12
Votes
Undo
Good point. I don't know how a driver could prove this. Maybe add a penalty, start from pit lane?

It was just a thought, I've no problem with no restarts under any circumstance. I'd rather it be that way than some complicated and disruptive process.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 13
Votes
Undo
We have confirmed the modification of rule 2.17. The rule reads as follows:

"2.17) With the exception of the loss of connection from the server within the first 2 laps, meaning that all drivers disconnect from the race due to a server failure, once the starting lights go off and the race gets underway, there will be no restarts allowed. If an accident occurs on lap 1, the drivers behind are required to use extra caution and avoid escalating the incident further, that said, drivers are required to reduce their speed substantially until they (the drivers behind) safely clear the zone of the accident. Drivers that do not reduce their speed substantially will be severely punished with up to a race suspension. Furthermore, calling for a race restart using the chat or voting system is forbidden and will be punished according to the stewards criteria."

Thank you all for your input.

F1 League Management
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. 2015 Season
  3. # 14
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!