I've been reading your feedback on the Wish List topic and wanted to start a discussion about a possible new format for Qualifying starting 2019.
Current Qualifying Format
- 12-minute Q1 starting on Thursdays at 9:30 pm USA Eastern time. Defines positions P11 to last. Top 10 advance to the final session (Q2).
- 8-minute Q2 starting at 9:45 pm USA Eastern time. Defines positions P1 to P10. Drivers must start the race with the tire used in this session.
- Parc Ferme starts from the first timed lap in Q1 (limited by rFactor 2 itself).
Proposed New Format
- Move Qualifying for Tuesdays at 10:30 pm USA Eastern time to start right after the Official Practice (format for Practice will most likely change).
- Have 3 sessions (Q1, Q2, Q3). Q1: top 15 advances, Q2: top 10 advances. Q3, final session. Just like real F1.
- Q1 will last for 15 minutes, Q2 for 12, and Q3 for 10.
- Top 10 drivers from Q2 (the ones that advance to Q3), will have to start their race with the compound used in Q2. Just like real F1.
- Doing the Qualifying on a different day than race effectively removes Parc Ferme.
Here are some pros and cons that I can think about the new system:
- Similar format to real F1.
- Gives more time to plan a strategy for the race depending on where you start.
- Shorter Thursday.
- Gives time to check for track limits and hand out penalties if needed.
- Will most likely introduce a Quali setup and a Race setup given that there won't be Parc Ferme.
- Favors hot lappers.
- Each event will take 2 days of the week.